Vegetable Chow Mein2015-02-04
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
- 8 ounces dried Chinese egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups mixed fresh mushrooms ( shiitake, king trumpet, cremini, button, etc.), sliced
- Pinch Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Pinch salt
- One 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper julienne cut (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper julienne cut (optional)
- any other optional vegetable .
Fill a wok or medium saucepan with water, bring to a boil and cook the egg noodles until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain, then coat with the toasted sesame oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside.
Heat a wok over high heat and add the vegetable oil. When the wok is smoking, add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook until starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Season the mushrooms with the Chinese five-spice powder.
Stir-fry for 1 minute more, then add the spinach and stir-fry for another minute until wilted (you can add a few tablespoons of water to help create some steam to cook the spinach if necessary).add other optional veggies if desire .
Toss in the cooked egg noodles, season with the light soy sauce and salt. Garnish with sliced scallions, toasted black and white sesame seeds and serve immediately.